Tuesday 1 July 2008

Call me unpatriotic but: “Damn you, Andy Murray”

When it comes to British sports persons and British teams competing in any sports competition that I am interested in, I usually don’t support them. I am British and I am a patriot – at least I satisfy my own definition of patriotism. Yet, there I was, supporting Croatia to beat England in the Euro 2008 qualifier. It hasn’t always been like this for me. If I recall correctly, the last major sporting event that I watched closely in which I did support England (a lot, I should add) was the Football World Cup in France 1998. I don’t know what it is that has changed but I just can’t support the British in sporting events any more.

Yesterday, I continued this trend. Watching an update of the tennis scores whilst on the Internet, I then decided to switch on the T.V. instead to watch (hopefully) Murray lose when he was two sets down and tied in the fourth set. I hung in there right until the end (mostly because I wanted to watch Criminal Justice afterwards). I absolutely hated every minute of it and was supporting Gasque all the way. Now, I like Wimbledon. I like watching the drama in Centre Court when there is a tough match being played out. I like how resilient players are able to come so close to losing the match before turning it around and winning. This is, of course, exactly what Murray did. In the particular game in which this occurred, I have to admit, he hit a rather fantastic shot from outside the lines of the court. Above all else, what I didn’t like, was the Wimbledon crowd that treated every winning shot by Murray like a 5-0 win over Germany in football. I didn’t like how Gasque was repetitively taunted and booed during the crucial stages of the match. Now some will counter that this atmosphere was to be expected where the match is being played on the player’s own turf – but this simply isn’t the case. Of the four main tennis grand slam events – I follow them all on T.V. except the U.S. Open. I haven’t seen a similar atmosphere being repeated in other events where a foreign player has to undergo similar experiences. I have to say though, I think I fully understand why this is happening. It’s a consequence of a British sportsperson not being successful in such a long time. When someone as promising as Andy Murray comes along, he is undoubtedly going to stir up strong emotions.

This morning I read Boris Johnson’s weekly article in the Daily Telegraph. He talks – in the context of football, not tennis – about how the British need to be more like the Germans. We need to work harder, develop a tougher character, show some decorum and leadership skills. Its no coincidence, in my opinion, that these characteristics are present in the numerous Russian women who have partaken in this year’s Wimbledon tournament. What about the Spanish? Champions of Europe in football and a possible Wimbledon winner in Rafael Nadal. Britain needs to raise standards. Until it does, I hope Nadal slaughters Murray in the semi-final.

5 comments:

Asp said...

Ah Lackie, finally someone I find myself in agreement with!

Wandering past TVs at the minute I keep finding myself shouting "Come on Tim!"

I don't think people really appreciate the irony...

Lacklustre Lawyer said...

Haha - that's funny.

I can safely say that I thoroughly watched Nadal beat Murray.

I have hated not being able to open a paper/switch on the news without Murray being characterised as a "true Brit". Well, he is and, in sports-terms, that's not something to be proud of.

Interesting how the commentators in the match switched from calling him the "Brit" to the 21 year old from Dunfermline.

Asp said...

I caught a bit of the commentary myself actually - and couldn't help but smirk when they explained the reason behind Tim Henman's absence - he's lost his voice.

Poor Tim, will he ever get past the Quarter Finals at Wimbledon?

Lacklustre Lawyer said...

Yeah Tim lost his voice. It wasn't that bad actually when he was in the studio in the morning - just didn't want to make it worse, I guess.

I think Tim made it to a couple of semi-finals at Wimbledon actually. No doubt though, that in doing so, he exhausted all of his energy in excruciating five-setters!

Macenroe was great at ripping it out of Henman because he lost his voice. He's so insincere when he talks about which ever British players are in the competition - I don't think the others in the studio realise this, probably not many viewers either.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.