Wednesday 12 November 2008

Legal Secretary application: what to do next?

I sent off an application for a legal secretary position at a high-street law firm back in August. The position was to commence in September. About three weeks after sending off my application I phoned up the firm to get an idea of what progress was being made on my application and when I could expect to hear from them. The partner that I spoke to seemed to be pretty interested in my application. Our conversation ended by him saying: 'I'll need to give this some more thought'. I've basically waited patiently since. I was surprised that all through September and October the position was still being advertised in my local newspaper. Even with the words 'to commence in September' throughout all of this period.

Now, half-way through November and the position isn't being advertised any more and I don't know what to do. The partner that I spoke to on the phone seemed pretty interested in me and its still something I desparately want to do. It occurs to me that, what with the credit crunch and all, they may be unable to pay another employee. That's a possibility, right? Well, for a while at least, I'd be prepared to work without being paid. I'm wondering whether I should perhaps phone up and make some inquiries. But, just how far should I go?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated :)

7 comments:

Android said...

The position may have been filled now, but it doesn't hurt to ring up and find out!

If I were you, I'd be phoning them every week 'to enquire' :D

Minx said...

Lackster, I would say ring them - silence on your part may be taken to be tantamount to acquiesence/disinterest by the employer; a bit of inquisitive dynamism will always stand you in good stead!!

( failing that, get on your high heels and suspenders, go over there and make the partner an offer he/she cant refuse!!)

Anonymous said...

Honestly? - a lot of legally related things might be worth doing for free (for a brief period) but not legal secretary. Really.

It is entirely possible the firm is cutting back, particularly if they do much conveyancing (that is a complete horror story now), but - being sneaky - if the firm is small to medium sized, I'd suggest giving reception a call and being charming. Reception usually know what is going on (and are often also legal secs.).

Swiss Tony said...

LL, there is no harm in phoning and saying that you have noticed that they are still advertising and do they still have your application.

Running the advert the way they have may just be a cock up, or they may be looking for something else and not being clear.

Give 'em a call and put your mind at rest.

Fingers crossed for you!

Swizz

Android said...

So, any news?

Lacklustre Lawyer said...

Patience Andro!

I will be able to let you know soon. Watch this space!

Thanks though...

Lacklustre Lawyer said...

I decided to call up the partner that I have been in contact with. It seems they are suspending their search for a legal secretary for the foreseeable future. The partner advised me to keep check though - its possible that the position may be advertised again sometime in the new year.

I didn't ask why the position was no longer available. This does support the conclusion, though, that the firm is a victim of the credit crunch.

Thanks for all the helpful advice that everyone offered on this post.