Wednesday 12 March 2008

The tax cut that never was, the election that never was….


...and now...the meeting that never was…

I never thought the day would come dearest blogreader, when my actions or inactions as part of my degree, could draw valid parallels with the same for politicians.

Throughout this week, Alistair Darling had been taunted by the press and members of the opposition party over the content of the budget which he delivered today. He must have absolutely been dreading today! What do you suppose his first thought was when he awoke this morning? Let me, blogreader, offer a possible answer. I believe that I can be of much assistance in this regard because, for once (dare I say), I know EXACTLY what he feels like.

When I awoke this morning – to the sound of my alarm clock – I stirred around a bit just to get by bearings and collect my thoughts. Then, I thought ‘Ah, Wednesday that means after I get through you, I have two more days of this god-forsaken week to get through, before my holidays officially commence.’ When I actually came to think what my first movement should be, it hit me. Its really quite a unique feeling because, at the time of day and in that place (where suddenly your pillows don’t feel so snug), its really not the kind of situation in which you expect to feel so vulnerable.

An important distinction can be drawn though (and would have been drawn would I have been writing this blog under different circumstances in which I was on top of things) and that is Darling's fear of making a typical House of Commons grand gesture – in a budget speech this usually manifests itself as a tax cut of sorts – because of the negative press surrounding his predecessor’s 2p or not 2p tax cut. I, on the other hand, would have relished the opportunity to pull a ‘rabbit out of the hat’ in the meeting with my tutor. Perhaps in the form of some nice addition to the piece of work I am working on that is so innovative and appealing. It was not meant to be though.

Another common feature between myself and my Darling is what I will refer to as the ‘expectations’ game. One sets ones own expectations. Darling’s leadership of the HM Treasury has never quite gotten off the ground. Importantly, no one trusts him. Trust is crucial to success at his position and although one must strive to earn trust; one must certainly not actively counter trust! It is this latter course of action which Darling has taken ever since he took over the Treasury and it is the reason why his position has not been considered tenable since.

For whatever reason he has not been able to earn trust, his chances have surely not been benefited by implicitly having ‘DISHONEST’ written on his forehead. That is right blogreader; I am obviously referring to the discontinuity of colour in Darling’s hair and his eyebrows.

I do not mind telling you blogreader, that the colour of my hair and my eyebrows is uniform. Despite this, I regret to inform you that I was quite irresponsible towards my tutor today when I emailed him in the morning to say that I would not be making it to our scheduled meeting.

I too have lost the trust of electorate whom, at previous meetings, had done much to encourage my ambitions for my project. No matter how profusely I apologised in my email, I am not sure that I will have ample opportunity to regain said trust and in all probability, my work is likely to suffer as result.

And so blogreader, you have and addition to your 'never was' chant courtesy of Lacklustre Lawyer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am tryin gto thank you for putting my blog on your blogroll... with some difficulty... if you find two repeat posts... please delete one...

I have, of course reciprocated.


Don't hang out with Tutors :-)

Lacklustre Lawyer said...

I'm trying my best not to hang with my tutors!

Thanks for the link; I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog and do so regularly!