Saturday 3 May 2008

Update on Revision


Why does revision seem so tough and impossible now? This is my third set of university exams and whilst there have been some definite improvements in my preparation style etc, I just can't understand why I can't motivate myself more. I mean: these are my last university exams and then, fingers-crossed, I am going to have an amazing summer doing lots of relaxing things.

Revision is tiring of me. There have been times, when sat in the last lectures of my subjects, that I have felt energised and encouraged by the opportunity to do well in the up-coming exams, but all those feelings just seem to go down the gutter shortly thereafter.

I must acknowledge though, that having started revision early, I have already covered a lot. I am comfortable with both Trusts law and Employment law; for my other subjects though - Jurisprudence and I.P. Law - I am not nearly as comfortable.

I have not taken the time to enjoy Jurisprudence this term. The topics that we have studied are absolutely dreadful; they are: Feminist perspectives on law; Foucauldian analysis of Law; Globalisation & the Law and a few others.

For all these areas in Jurisprudence, I have found my lecturers to be completely boring. These subjects have only a few interesting things to say and these can be easily summarised in a few short sentences. The lecturers at my university seem to have decided that lectures were going to be used to repeat and repeat those few senteneces. Its just so uninteresting. On top of that bore, I have had to work through the most disproportionate reading list imaginable. A lot of the reading is centred around trying to understand what, for example, Feminists think of the Law on rape; or, what somebody thinks Foucault would think about the law on privacy. It is not possible to miss a single element of the reading - not a single bit. A cursory glance at past examination questions demonstrates that although there is a choice of question, all the questions are really narrow in focus and so are very demanding in the knowledge that you are required to use. It is rumoured that each year the lecturer spends more time lecturing on a specific case-study that will be of much use in the exam. I don't know whether any of my peers have managed to detect any guidance in the aforementioned repetitive streaks of the lecturers, but I certainly haven't, which is worrying.

I have tried to interest myself in the reading and in parts that has been possible to the extent that I have finished reading a piece and thought it comprehensible. Most of the time, though, I can't even begin to understand what is being said and why. My lecture notes for the Foucauldian analysis on law and Globalisation & Law are slightly more readable than the same for Feminist perspectives on law. My lecturers were so bad that it took until well into this term to be able to put their thoughts to paper.

In terms of doing the reading. Some of it is more engaging than other areas. I have absolutely no interest in anything to do with Family law. Its an area of law that I would absolutely detest studying. But Feminists have picked-up on a lot of Family law areas to demonstrate gender-bias in the law. Rape, on the other hand, as a crime, is something I am far more interested in. Some of the reading in this area by some Feminists is very enjoyable. Feminists fall into different categories: Radical Feminists, Liberal Feminists, Difference Feminists and Post-modern Feminists are some of the ones I have read about. My favourite, are of course, Radical Feminists. I will share with you one particular quote by Catharine MacKinnon, a Radical Feminist, which made me sit up and take notice:

"man fucks woman: subject verb object"

Finally, and fittingly, I should end with mentioning I.P. law. For revision, the challenge that I have with I.P. law is that I have a tremendous amount of rote learning to do. There is very little in the way of controversy or difficult areas of the law that I need to spend time upon; instead, I need to familiarise myself with many many many statutory provisions and case names and details, that I seem to have forgotten all about. Its because, I find, that much of the I.P. law syllabus is relatively uncontroversial that I have spent so little time on it, in comparison to subjects like Employment law.

So, I am feeling the heat of revision, but it is hoped that I will manage to prepare myself sufficiently for the up-coming exams and then find something more interesting to share with you. Until then, spare a thought for Gordon Brown and recognise that no matter how hard you work to achieve something, sometimes its just not good enough.

4 comments:

Android said...

I know the feeling, when you have 0 motivation! Just think how you will regret it afterwards if you don't put enough effort now. All the hard work will definitely pay off later :)

Asp said...

Jurisprudence is certainly the marmite of law courses.

I also couldn't stand it. If I wanted to know about philosophy, I'd have studied philosophy. I want to know about the law now, and how it applies.

However, I know some people who classed it as their favourite course - I spoke to a fellow Alumni yesterday for the first time since finals, and she said it was the only course in the last year she enjoyed. No accounting for taste ;)

Lacklustre Lawyer said...

Hi Android,

I am trying to get into that state of mind but am failing at the moment. Hopefully this week will be a change in this attitude, I will report back!

Hi ASP,

Those are exactly my feelings. Last term we looked at jurists like Hart, Dworkin, Devlin etc and I found it quite interesting. This term, things like Foucauldian analyses of law are philosophical and sociological are so far away from the law that I really want to be studying that it somewhat revolts me!

Those feeling aside, I still need to do well in it though.

Anonymous said...

Like Andro and Asp before me, you have my absolute sympathies at this time of the year, lackie, when two terms and assessments, plus applications for things like mini P's, the BVC/LPC combine to knock the motivational stuffing out of you.
I DETESTED jurisprudence, having been conned into it's study in my first year as an option ( the " selling point" , if thats the phrase bieng that my degree would be "100% law" - what a numptie I was, eh?!) You arent one of these unfortunate people who has to do it as a compulsory, are you?!.
IP was a different matter - it was beautifully and enthusiastically taught throughout which was pretty motivational.
If you think of it as short term pain=long term gain, and take some comfort in the fact that EVERYONE in the ENTIRE country is feeling completely the same!!It's waiting for the starting gun thats the worst - once its fired and the exams are underway, they'll be over with before you know it! :)