Wednesday 2 April 2008

Feedback

Well I have received some feedback for the vacation scheme interview and assessments I recently did at a city law firm. I was unsuccessful in getting onto the summer scheme.

Most of the points that I raised in a previous blog-entry, regarding my performance, were reflected in the feedback that I received. It was two things that really let me down. Firstly, the pre-prepared presentation that I delivered that drastically didn't adhere to the time constraints; and, secondly, the group exercise in which I didn't contribute enough. On the positive side: the verbal reasoning test that I sat was fine as were most of my answers during the interview. The polite graduate recruitment officer who provided me with the feedback informed me that I wasn't the only lacklustre performer in the group exercise, which was nice to know. On reflection though, I should have participated more within the group and tried to change things as they were going wrong. Even if this meant interrupting other members and trying to bring more structure to our discussion, it still, I feel, would have been a worthwhile contribution.

Oh well; you can't win them all.

6 comments:

Android said...

That's a bit rubbish :( I hope you're not too depressed about it though!

The good thing is - you've identified your flaws yourself, so I'm sure you won't make the same mistakes in the future.

Lacklustre Lawyer said...

Nah, am not down about it really. I wish I had tried harder and prepared better than I did though. From what I can tell, all hope was lost before I even entered the firm's offices that day!

Hopefully I will learn from my experience and be more successful in the future.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't successful, lackie, but at least you seem to haver assiduously taken the recruiter's advice on board; I am sure, armed with such info, that you will be successful next time.
After all, it was only a summer vac scheme; mini pupillages are far better, but then, of course, I am COMPLETELY biased......

Lacklustre Lawyer said...

...its fine by me to assume that mini-pupillages are better ;)

Cbv said...

unlucky mate, hope other applications go well and you get the place that you deserve somewhere. It sounds like you've learnt alot from the experience so that's always a bonus.

Lacklustre Lawyer said...

Hey CBV,

Thanks for your comment. Yes, hopefully this will prove to have been a beneficial learning experience for me.

Just read your recent blog entry and I must say: Congratualations on your exceptional performance in the Law Mods. I hope that S & M have a generous cash prize on offer because, from what I can tell, you thoroughly deserve it!