Thursday 10 April 2008

The Race against Time

As is to be expected in the final week of my Easter holidays, I am steadily labouring away at revision of various topics and subjects and working to complete my dissertation on time.

The dissertation is worth quite a substantial part of this year's marks but I'm really trying to ensure that I am adequately prepared for my exams too. It is difficult; but this will all be made easier when the dissertation deadline passes, I've recovered from celebrating what will be a short-lived achievement and I'll be able to give exam preparation the attention it deserves.

Having decided to apply for the BVC, I am having to fill in all sorts of forms at considerable speed. This, whilst simultaneously having to perform all sorts of calculations of risk, benefits and money that come with such an important decision. To give you a taster:

- Now that any opportunity of securing a scholarship has passed, do I feel comfortable funding the BVC myself?
- How sure am I that I will enjoy the BVC?
- Which BVC provider and location is my first choice? What are its ratings and reputation like? (Can't seem to find this information anywhere)
- How sure am I that I will do well on the BVC?
- What are my chances of securing pupillage?
- How many pupillage application cycles before I say 'enough is enough'?
- Just how old will I be before I start working? Do I feel comfortable with that?
- What if, after doing well on the Vacation schemes in the Summer, I find myself comforted by the job security that becoming a solicitor involves and accept a training contract offer instead? As I will have two years before the training contract commences will I be able to: (i) complete the BVC (ii) have a shot at securing pupillage (iii) realise that its not going to happen and quickly do the QLTT before commencing a training contract?

I'm planning on submitting my BVC application as soon as possible really - this week I intended. In addition to answering these questions, I will also, as I mentioned in a previous post, have to consider my final degree classification and my mini-pupillage experience. So really I'm not having to make the final decision as soon as I think but its hard not thinking these things anyway!

6 comments:

Android said...

Good choice, Lackie! :) I really hope that your application is successful!!

Some difficult questions there! I'm sure you'll figure it all out ;)

Lacklustre Lawyer said...

Sing it sister.

From your lips to God's ears.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lackie,
Such a lot of big, and important questions!! They obviously need to be asked ( all sensible would be bar students should, I think do this), but I dont think you should do your head in with regard to the BVC just at the moment - concentrate on your dissertation and exams and wringing the best possible degree classification out of your university.

Mel said...

If you were to do the BVC, you can still qualify as a solicitor - a friend did this, you work for 2 years as a paralegal then take one of those acronym exams beginning with 'Q'. This I suspect you know already.
She got into a very good firm (top 10/15 in London, and international firm).

Also, I wouldn't worry about the BVC form- I did mine very last minute and a very rushed job, and still got into the places I wanted. Just flatter the providers!

Good luck :)

Lacklustre Lawyer said...

Hi Mel, thanks for the comment.

Yep, I've come across the QLTT - which covers the essential parts of the LPC that presumably are not covered on the BVC.

I am currently filling-in the BVC application form and its going smoothly. There are, unsurprisingly, quite a few long-answer questions on things like: mini-pupillage & bar experience; evidence of intellectual ability etc, which I am slowly working my way through. I had intended to submit my application on Sunday. However, I've been mulling over answers to all those questions that I put in this blog entry - especially about how to fund it (as I will be doing this myself) - and its got me a little bit undecided.

Hopefully, it won't be long now until I get round to submitting it.

I have added you to my list of blawgs. Welcome to the Blawging world!

Anonymous said...

Before choosing where to apply to for the BVC, you should be looking for as much information as possible about the various course providers. You should try to find out about not only the academic programme, but also any links with the profession, the level of individual career guidance, the facilities available and any relevant extra-curricular activities.